Accommodations for DFL events, meetings, caucuses, and conventions
The Minnesota DFL works to accommodate the various needs of those who want to participate in our meetings and programs. Resources and guidelines on accessibility and accommodation requests for DFL events are found on this page.
In order to create more accommodating and welcoming DFL meetings, caucuses, and conventions, follow the below guidelines for your next meeting:
- Ask participants what accommodations they need. Never assume that someone needs assistance. It is best to ask questions like: “What Accommodations do you require?” or “Do you need assistance?”
- Make sure there is an accessible path around the room, at least 36 inches in width. Also, make sure sidewalks are clear.
- Allow longer breaks. Five minute breaks can be too short for people with disabilities or the elderly to utilize effectively. Breaks of fifteen minutes are optimal.
- Provide accessible seating. This could be a seat at a part of the venue without stairs leading to it or simply taking away a chair or two from a table.
- Offer to provide meeting materials in electronic form and/or in advance of the meeting. Also, make sure materials are in a readable font and size.
- Make sure there is accessible parking at the meeting location. If there is not, make signs and place them in spots next to the building entrance. Also, be sure to provide an access aisle.
- Have the person running the meeting repeat audience questions.
- Highlight paths to common destinations using signage.
- Ensure that table heights are no taller than 36 inches, and at least 36 inches in length.
- For more information and resources for accessible meetings and meeting rooms, visit our additional resources page.
Information for Requesting Accommodations:
- Please complete the Accommodation Request Form so we know how to best meet your needs.
- Accommodation requests must be submitted at least fourteen days in advance of the event.
- Due to the coordination necessary to fulfill requests, submitting these forms even earlier is strongly encouraged.
- Note that all of the facilities that house DFL-related events are required to be accessible.
- If you have any other questions, please email our office by clicking the button below or by emailing email@example.com.