2018 Endorsement Process
Information on Stonewall DFL’s process for endorsement
Steps to Endorsing a Candidate:
- Candidates complete Stonewall DFL’s (pending) online questionnaire. Caucus membership may also consider a limited number of candidates directly at its Annual Membership Meeting in January.
- The Political Support Committee will review questionnaires and contact candidates with the screening date and time for their race. Please note: questionnaire submission must occur prior to a screening time being assigned. The sooner the candidate submits their questionnaire, the sooner and more likely they’ll get a screening time that works best for them. Spots are limited and fill up quickly.
- Candidates meet with the screening committee for an in-person interview (about 20 minutes).
- The Political Support Committee makes recommendations to the full Stonewall DFL Board of Directors for each race under consideration for endorsement.
- The Stonewall DFL Board of Directors will vote to make an endorsement on the recommendation of the Political Support Committee. In most cases, this will occur at the next regularly scheduled board meeting. Letters of support from caucus members supporting a candidate are welcome and helpful.
Endorsement Timeline (updated 2/15/2018):
The Stonewall DFL membership voted to endorse candidates for various offices at the Annual Meeting on January 6, 2018. See 2018 Voter Guide for endorsements. Please note that membership voted to defer action on endorsing for governor until a membership meeting to take place during the DFL State Convention, June 1-3 in Rochester.
All other endorsements for 2018 will be considered through the Political Support Committee process.
The Political Support Committee will post questionnaires on Monday, February 26th. Screenings will begin Saturday, March 3rd with priority given to candidates with conventions on March 10th. Information on how to sign up for a screening time with the Committee will be posted once the questionnaire is live.
Check back regularly: All updates of information will be posted here.
Information for candidates for office:
To be considered by Stonewall DFL for endorsement, please submit your questionnaire electronically using the link below.
>>>[Questionnaire links to be posted here on Monday, February 26th.]
Candidates may wish to review the questions for their race listed in our sample questions document before starting the online questionnaire process. This will be linked once the questionnaires are live.
Questions about which questionnaire to use for your campaign should first be directed to John Westerfield Moses, Stonewall DFL Political Support Committee Chair, by email at email@example.com.
MS Word or PDF submissions are not accepted. If you have problems submitting your questionnaire, contact Samuel Doten, Committee Vice-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Stonewall DFL members:
Stonewall DFL members who wish to participate in our candidate screening sessions should join the committee, subscribe to the Stonewall DFL events calendar, and/or watch for announcements in the Stonewall DFL Facebook group.
Not all candidates running for the same office may be screened on the same date, but we will make every effort to keep similar races together. Candidate screenings are closed committee sessions, open only to members of the Stonewall DFL caucus who are in good standing with caucus annual dues paid 7 days prior to the activity.
This is a 100% volunteer effort. Donations, flexibility, and understanding are always appreciated.
On behalf of the Stonewall DFL caucus we appreciate the candidates’ and our members’ time and dedication to the Minnesota LGBTQ community.
All completed questionnaires will be kept in archives for the Stonewall DFL Board of Directors.