DFL Party Announces 2020 Virtual State Convention with Vice President Biden as Keynote Speaker
Today, the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party is announcing its state convention speaking program featuring Vice President Biden as the keynote speaker, a robust set of online training programs and virtual panel discussions, and the convention’s theme: Minnesota Together.
The convention’s agenda will be as follows:
Saturday, May 30th:
- 10:00 AM – Training: Getting Involved with the Minnesota DFL Party
- 11:00 AM – Panel: Organizing in Rural Communities
- 1:00 PM – Training: Virtual Phone Banking
- 2:00 PM – Panel: What Can DFLers Accomplish with a Majority?
- 3:00 PM – Training: Social Media, Letters to the Editor, and Research
- 4:00 PM – Training: Relational Organizing with the Team App
Sunday, May 31st:
- 10:00 AM – DFL Party Community Caucus Open Houses Begins
- 11:00 AM – Training: Relational Organizing with the Team App
- 1:00 PM – Panel: Voter Protection & Safety in the Age of COVID-19
- 2:00 PM – Panel: Gun Violence Prevention
- 3:00 PM – Speaking Program Begins
The speaking program will be broadcast for convention delegates, members of the media, and the general public at Facebook.com/MinnesotaDFL and YouTube.com/MinnesotaDFL, while the convention’s training programs and panel discussions will be reserved for elected convention delegates.
The convention’s speaking program will feature remarks from:
- Vice President Joe Biden
- Governor Tim Walz
- U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar
- Representative Angie Craig
- Representative Dean Phillips
- Representative Betty McCollum
- Representative Ilhan Omar
- Speaker of the House Melissa Hortman
- Senate Minority Leader Susan Kent
In addition we will hear from other speakers including:
- Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez
- The State DFL Party endorsed U.S. Senate candidate
- 1st CD DFL endorsed candidate Dan Feehan
- 6th CD DFL endorsed candidate Tawnja Zahradka
- 8th CD DFL endorsed candidate Quinn Nystrom
In the spirit of Minnesotans from across the state uniting to overcome adversity during this crisis, the theme of this year’s convention will be Minnesota Together. During the DFL State Convention, the Party will also be announcing their U.S. Senate endorsement, as well as Minnesota’s DNC representatives, presidential electors, and delegates to the Democratic National Convention.
DFL Party Chairman Ken Martin released the following statement:
“I could not be more excited to gather virtually with DFL Party leaders and grassroots activists from around Minnesota to organize for the upcoming elections and hear from our endorsed candidates and elected officials. The end of the legislative session and our state convention will kick off one of the most important campaign seasons in our state’s history, and DFLers are ready to meet this moment.
“Donald Trump’s failed response to the COVID-19 pandemic has reminded DFLers what the stakes of the November elections truly are, which is why our Party is taking nothing for granted. The DFL Party has a terrific slate of candidates running under our banner, a dedicated team of volunteers, and a track record of fighting for Minnesotans’ health, security, and economic opportunity.
“This year, the theme of our convention is Minnesota Together. Though these difficult times have forced us apart physically, Minnesotans have found numerous, innovative ways to come together to work towards a better, safer future for ourselves, our loved ones, and our communities. The values that bring Minnesota Together – security, opportunity, and community – are at the core of the DFL Party and will help propel us to victory in November.”