The Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus (Democratic Party) is seeking a highly motivated candidate for the position of Political Director for the 2020 election cycle. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in campaign management including writing and executing paid media plans, communication plans, fundraising plans, digital plans, or field plans. This position will report directly to the Campaign Manager and Deputy Campaign Manager.
About the Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus
The Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus is committed to working together to build the state all Minnesotans deserve with high-quality education, affordable and accessible health care, and increasing support for working families. The values we share bring our communities together and serve as a guide for how we make our state work better for all of us, no matter what we look like or where we come from.
Democrats are only two seats away from winning a majority in the Minnesota Senate. We are building out our grassroots team to lead us to victory in 2020 so we can deliver on our shared values around community, opportunity, justice, and equality.
- Draft, implement, and manage a political plan to deliver comprehensive candidate services support to candidates throughout the state which includes fundraising, spending, digital and political support
- Hire, train, and manage a small team of Political Coordinators to execute high-quality candidate services in a robust and targeted manner
- Write customizable finance plans and work with Political Coordinators to set fundraising goals and benchmarks in coordination with candidates and implement mechanisms to maintain accountability
- Work with Digital Finance Director to train candidates on implementing best practices online
- Connect candidates with consulting teams and advise on hard-side spending plans
- Collaborate with Field Director to maximize field efforts
- Assist in building and maintaining relationships with local party leadership as well as partner and allied organizations
- Create a professional, enthusiastic, and inclusive work environment and culture among Political Coordinator staff
- Establish a culture of accountability amongst candidates and caucus members on finance, spending, and paid communications
- Communicate with campaign leadership on success, pitfalls, and needs of the Political Program
- Other campaign related tasks and duties as assigned, as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly motivated and committed to the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, our members, and our candidates
- At least two campaign cycles of campaign experience, one cycle of managing staff preferred
- Experience with VAN/Votebuilder
- Experience or ability to learn NGP or other donor database software and systems
- Experience or ability to learn email CRMs such as Mail Chimp
- Familiarity with or ability to quickly learn Minnesota campaign finance and compliance laws
- Understanding of digital organizing and digital organizing tools
- Willingness to work in a fast paced and demanding but fulfilling environment which includes evening and weekend hours
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Highly organized, detail oriented, and excellence-focused
This is a full-time position requiring a commitment through Election Day in November, 2020. The position will be based in St. Paul, MN.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Benefit package included.
The Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
How to Apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning Jan 15, 2020.