The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring a full-time African American Community Engagement Director for the 2020 cycle. The African American Community Engagement Director will report directly to the Political Program Director, with a start date of January 18, 2020 . This position is based in St.Paul, Minnesota.
The African American Community Engagement Director will work closely with grassroots community leaders, local elected officials, and partner organizations to empower, engage and mobilize African American voters in the 2020 election. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with deep ties to Minnesota’s African American communities and experience organizing in an electoral context.
- Design and implement a relational organizing voter contact program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing voter participation in Minnesota’s African American communities in the 2020 election and beyond.
- Recruit and manage volunteer Get Out the Vote teams in the Minnesota’s African American communities.
- Identify and partner with grasstops leaders and organizations across the state to anticipate needs, provide resources and engage their communities.
- Collaborate with the DFL voter protection and field teams to break down barriers to participation and meet voter registration, volunteer and turnout goals.
- Potential to manage other staff members as program expands.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor, Executive Director, or DFL Chair.
- Experience organizing in or deep ties to Minnesota’s African American Communities
- At least two years of relevant experience including experience in voter turnout electoral
or political community organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to electing DFL candidates up and down the ballot
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle
- Ability to work long or irregular hours
Preferred but not required:
- Minnesota experience or ties to the state
- Experience with relational organizing tools or programs
- Experience coaching or managing other staff
- Experience remotely supervising staff or volunteers
- Knowledge and experience using Votebuilder (VAN)
Salary commensurate with experience. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental. To Apply: Send a one-page cover letter, resume, and 3-4 references to Nancy Leeds,
Coordinated Campaign Director, at email@example.com with the email subject line “African American Engagement Director”
Diversity and Inclusion:
The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian