DFL Deputy Party Affairs Director
Full Time Election Cycle
The Minnesota DFL Party seeks a Deputy Party Affairs Director. This role is a key part of our Training and Party Affairs department focused on supporting the essential functions of our work statewide. We are looking for someone who can organize large amounts of information in an accessible way and able to work with a wide variety of people – from experienced activists to folks just getting started with the party. They need to be excited to learn and develop expertise relating to the inner workings of the DFL through knowledge of our rules and processes as outlined in our party documents.
- Maintain up-to-date member databases (SEC, SCC, Unit Officers, Standing Committees, etc.) and party records such as meeting agendas, minutes, and other records of the Party’s governing bodies.
- Develop strong communication with party activists, statewide committees and other related organizations – answering questions and taking action to meet their needs, as directed.
- Provide information to party units about compliance with the Party’s constitution, bylaws, and other policies, as directed.
- Coordinate website updates of Training & Party Affairs content.
- Take a key role in the planning and implementation for large events including: State Central Committee Meetings, Precinct Caucuses, State Convention, National Convention, Training Summit and State Fair booth including recruit presenters, select venues, organize promotions, handle registration and manage budgets.
- Provide support to the committees of the DFL such as Constitution, Bylaws & Rules Committee, Outreach and Inclusion Committee, Party Affairs & Coordinated Campaign Committee and Platform & Issues Committee.
- Support Party Outreach efforts by working with our Community Caucuses and coordinating our outreach reimbursement program.
- Effectively delegate work to and support interns in coordination with the Training and Party Affairs Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Training & Party Affairs Director or DFL Executive Director or Chair.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to electing Democrats up and down the ballot.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong skills in G Suite, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and knowledge of VAN (Voter Activation Network)
- Reputation as an upbeat self-starter with a problem-solving attitude.
- A properly insured vehicle for travel around the state as necessary.
- Ability to work weekends and hours beyond the traditional 9 to 5.
- Stellar personal organization skills and attention to detail. If your calendar is always up-to-date and your notes are color-coded, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role and nothing can fall through the cracks.
- Customer Service Experience.
- Service as a party-unit officer and/or experience as a leader in the DFL Party, with knowledge of its mission, values, structure, rules and procedures.
- Experience working with WordPress, Photoshop, InDesign (or other graphic design software) as well as experience with Access.
This is a mid-level position reporting to the DFL’s Training and Party Affairs Director
This position will be temporarily remote, and will organize virtually while the pandemic prohibits in-person work. When it is safe to go back into offices, we will ask staff to work out of the DFL Headquarters in St. Paul.
The salary range for this position is between $42,000 and – $65,000 annually with full health benefits, a 401K, and four weeks of vacation annually.
To apply please send a resume, one-page cover letter and 3-4 references to Sonja Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 8.
Diversity and Inclusion: The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian