Be a Poll Challenger
n order to protect voting rights on Election Day, DFL designated challengers will be placed inside certain polling locations. Despite the title as defined by Minnesota law, DFL “challengers” serve as observers of the process and are not to challenge any voters. Instead, a challenger’s role is to serve as the eyes and ears of the DFL in and around polling locations.
The DFL will credential challengers, and only one challenger from each major political party shall be allowed by law to remain in the polling place at one time. A challenger must be a resident of Minnesota and present to the head election judge a written certificate signed by DFL Chair Ken Martin. There is no pre-registration deadline for challengers, which means that certificates may be signed up to the time the challenger enters a polling location.
No previous experience is necessary, and we will be providing a number of in-person and online trainings leading up to the August 11 primary and November 3 general elections.
Responsibilities and expectations of the job:
- To serve as poll challenger for the primary election, you must be available for a half-day on August 11, 2020. The morning shift is from 6:30 AM to 1:00 PM, and the evening shift is from 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- To serve as a poll challenger for the general election, you must be available for the full day on November 3, 2020. A shift is 6:30 AM to 8:00 PM.
- You must have your own transportation to your assigned polling location.
- You must have access to a smart phone or tablet that you can use throughout the day to communicate incidents to DFL Voter Protection.
- You must pick up in-person—or have access to a printer so you can print out—your Certification Letter signed by the DFL Chair.
- You must review training materials and attend a training in-person or online (dates and times TBD).
- You must check your email regularly for information from DFL Voter Protection about our program.
This job is for you if:
- You are committed to ensuring that every eligible Minnesotan’s vote will be protected and counted.
- You can commit substantial hours on Election Day.
- You can commit several hours to study and learn about the detailed training materials in advance.
- You are a problem solver and critical thinker.
Sign-up to serve as a DFL Voter Protection Poll Challenger