The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring a full-time African Immigrant Community Organizer for the 2020 cycle. The African Immigrant Community Organizer will report directly to the African Immigrant Community Engagement Director with a start date of September 19, 2020. This position is remote, but based in Minnesota.
The African Immigrant Community Engagement Organizer will work closely with grassroots community leaders, local elected officials, and partner organizations to empower, engage and mobilize African Immigrant voters in the 2020 election. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with deep ties to Minnesota’s African Immigrant communities and experience organizing in an electoral context.
- Implement a relational organizing voter contact program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing voter participation in Minnesota’s African Immigrant communities in the 2020 election and beyond.
- Plan, lead and execute grassroots activities for volunteers such as phone banks, text banks, friend to friend calling/texting programs, or events to push early vote in the African Immigrant community.
- Recruit, train, manage and support a team of volunteers.
- Recruit and manage volunteer Get Out the Vote teams in the Minnesota’s African Immigrant communities.
- Collaborate with the DFL voter protection and field teams to break down barriers to participation and meet vote by mail, volunteer and turnout goals.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor, Executive Director, or DFL Chair.
- Experience organizing in or deep ties to Minnesota’s African Immigrant Communities
- Fluency in the written and spoken Somali language
- At least two years of relevant experience including experience in voter turnout electoral or political community organizing
- Demonstrated commitment to electing DFL candidates up and down the ballot
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to a vehicle
- Ability to work remotely with access to internet, and work long or irregular hours
Preferred but not required:
- Experience with relational organizing tools or programs
- Experience remotely supervising staff or volunteers
- Knowledge and experience using Votebuilder (VAN)
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
To Apply: Send a one-page cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Misha Battiste at email@example.com, with the subject line, “African Immigrant Organizer Position”
Application Deadline: On a rolling basis, open until position is filled.
Diversity and Inclusion: The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.