The MN Senate DFL is hiring a Canvass Director for the 2020 cycle to work with candidates and incumbent legislators running for the Minnesota State Senate. The Canvass Director will hire, train and manage a team of phone canvassers to execute targeted voter contact around the state. This position reports directly to the Field Director. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated, passionate and creative problem solvers with campaign experience, who are committed to winning a DFL majority in the State Senate.
This will be a remote position while social distancing restrictions are in place.
About the Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus
The Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus is committed to working together to build the state all Minnesotans deserve with high-quality education, affordable and accessible health care, and increasing support for working families. The values we share bring our communities together and serve as a guide for how we make our state work better for all of us, no matter what we look like or where we come from.
Democrats are only two seats away from winning a majority in the Minnesota Senate. We are building out our grassroots team to lead us to victory in 2020 so we can deliver on our shared values around community, opportunity, justice, and equality.
- Hiring and managing a team of canvassers to contact voters throughout targeted Minnesota Senate districts. Canvassers will be remote phone callers but there is the possibility of shifting the canvass to door knocking if/when it is appropriate
- Working with candidates and campaigns to track goals and coordinate turf;
- Evaluating canvasser performance including daily feedback, data integrity review, and scheduled performance check-ins;
- Executing a well-rounded and comprehensive daily training program for canvass staff;
- Establishing clear lines of reporting and communication throughout the election cycle;
- Meeting high programmatic voter contact goals and maintaining a high standard of quality voter contact;
- Any other campaign-related tasks, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Commitment to DFL values and highly motivated to elect DFL State Senate candidates.
- At least one cycle of campaign field experience or equivalent organizing experience;
- Understanding of VAN, including turf cutting, list-making and data assessment.
- Strong time-management skills and work ethic;
- Ability to motivate and empower staff and volunteers to reach goals;
- Ability to canvass voters on the phone and knocking on doors;
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to exercise superb judgement and political savvy.
- Must possess a laptop and a valid driver’s license along with access to a reliable car.
- Senate DFL staff are expected to be team players with an outstanding work ethic.
This is a full-time position requiring a commitment through Election Day in November, 2020.
Compensation is $4000 per month with a competitive benefits package that includes health and dental insurance.
The Minnesota DFL Senate Caucus is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, three (3) references, and a one-page cover letter with the subject line “Senate DFL Caucus Canvass Director Application” to Colie Colburn at email@example.com
Position is open until filled and the start date is ideally in July 2020.