The Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party is hiring a full-time AAPI Community Engagement Director for the 2020 cycle. The AAPI Community Engagement Director will report directly to the Coalitions Director.
The AAPI Community Engagement Director will work closely with grassroots community leaders, local elected officials, and partner organizations to empower, engage and mobilize the AAPI community in Minnesota. The ideal candidate will be an innovative thinker with deep ties to Minnesota’s AAPI and Hmong communities and experience organizing in an electoral context.
- Design and implement a relational organizing program with concrete metrics for success with the goal of increasing electoral participation in Minnesota’s AAPI communities.
- Recruit and manage volunteer doorknock and phone call teams in the Minnesota’s AAPI Immigrant communities.
- Identify and partner with grasstops leaders and organizations across the state to anticipate needs, provide resources and engage their communities.
- Collaborate with the DFL voter protection and field teams to break down barriers to participation and meet registration, volunteer and turnout goals.
- Potential to manage other staff members as the program expands.
- Additional duties as assigned by Coalitions Director, Executive Director, or DFL Chair.
- Experience organizing in or deep ties to AAPI communities in Minnesota
- At least two years of relevant experience including experience in electoral or political community organizing
- Fluency in written and spoken Hmong language
- Demonstrated commitment to electing DFL candidates up and down the ballot
- Ability to work long or irregular hours
Preferred but not required:
- Minnesota experience or ties to the state
- Experience with relational organizing tools or programs
- Experience coaching or managing other staff
- Knowledge and experience using Votebuilder (VAN)
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Employees of the DFL are paid on a bi-weekly basis and receive a competitive benefits package including health care and dental.
To Apply: Send a resume, and 3 references to Misha Battiste, Coalitions Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “AAPI Community Engagement Director.”
Diversity and Inclusion: The Minnesota DFL is an equal-opportunity employer. The DFL Party is committed to including groups historically underrepresented due to race/ethnicity, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and/or ability. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
Voluntary Self-Identification Information (OPTIONAL)
Consistent with the DFL Party’s commitment to including groups historically under-represented in the DFL Party’s affairs, by virtue of race/ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or disability, we encourage members of underrepresented groups to seek jobs within the DFL Party. To help in this effort, we ask applicants to complete this self-identification form. Completion of this information is voluntary and is not a requirement of employment. This information will not affect the decision regarding your application for employment. This information will be kept confidential.
Select one or more groups that fit your identity:
Hispanic or Latino
Person with Disability
White or Caucasian